Sunday, April 17, 2011

My house could double as the local library

Peace Corps Volunteers have plenty of free time. And because most of us struggle with either no electricity, or inconsistent electricity, we Peace Corps Volunteers tend to spend a great deal of that free time reading books. At the moment, I would say I'm averaging a book a week. I find myself reading in between work meetings and tasks (especially when the power is off and I am not able to waste time on my computer)...Then again before bed time. My house would be a whole lot tidier if it weren't cluttered with books that I've brought with me, picked up at the Peace Corps library or had sent to me by my mom.

While I've always been a book lover (as a child I did not fall short of being a complete book worm and, in fact, got second place in my elementary school in the accelerated reader reading contest), I have rediscovered the joy of reading here in Uganda. Because I spent four years in University reading for the sole purpose of understanding a specific concept and achieving good marks, I forgot how it felt to read simply for the pleasure of it. I've read a lot of great books in Uganda, many of which have made me ponder ideas I would have never even thought of, some that have taught me history, and some that have truly changed my way of thinking about the world and about life.

As a book lover, I wanted to share a list of some of my favorite books that I have read over the course of my service. Check them out if you get the chance!

1. Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel
2. Veronika Decides to Die by Paul Coelho
3. Contact by Carl Sagan
4. The Gospel According to Jesus Christ by Jose Saramago
5. A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle
6. Ishmael by Daniel Quinn
7. Seed to Harvest by Octavia Butler
8. This Book will Save you Life by A.M. Homes
9. The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill
10. Some Love, Some Pain, Sometime by J. California Cooper

No comments:

Post a Comment